Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Missions Electric!

East African Man--Waiting to Hear
the Good News of Jesus!

So it's been July since I last posted...so shoot me! DD costs the same to you (free) whether I post a little or a lot.

Today, I'm confining my post to a brief report on last Sunday. We'd been talking up world missions since the second Sunday in September and made 10/4 the push day for world missions. Our goal was $6,000, which would be the highest WMO in years. To put that in context, two years ago I did four weeks on world missions and the WMO was about $5,500. Last year we had a guest missionary and received about $3,500. This year, in the midst of the worst recession in the history of the universe (oops, that's what they said on MSNBC; whether it's true or not, I'll let you judge, but I think that the '73-74 recession was worst, and then the stagflation of the late 70s and early 80s was worst, but I digress), we set the goal of $6,000.

Now, to be prefectly honest, it was RJ's idea. (That is Roosevelt Joshua, but every body calls him RJ). He took the world missions reins this year and I was afraid he was going to be disappointed.

O ye of little faith (that's me.)

Going into Sunday, we'd taken in about $2,300 leaving $3,700 in one day to make it happen. I preached a missions message like a fastball, high and inside, but I don't think that did it.

Final amount (yes, they'll be some dribble for a few weeks, but this is close to final): $6,463.

Lesson 1: don't underestimate God's people
Lesson 2: don't underestimate God.
Lesson 3: don't underestimate the power of a dedicated person.

When RJ said that he and Stacy were going to the pastor's conference in Kenya, one of the three beneficiaries of the WMO, it was attention-grabbing. Then when he said that they were testing a call from God to go to East Africa permanently, well that was electric!


By the way, I'm going to make an effort now to post twice weekly here at DD, probably on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so check back more often!

No comments: